Saturday, August 25, 2012





I decided to do more hiking training since I came back from Gobi. Since then, every weekly session I had hiking with friends was an interesting journey.

The past two weeks was really a training of mental strength. Last week it was Maclehose sections 3 and 4. This week it was the Pat Sin Leng. After I finished the two sections at Maclehose last week, I was wondering whether I really had what it takes to finish the whole 100 km. This week too, I had serious doubts (especially when I was climbing the ups and downs) whether I can even finish the Raleigh 78 km.

The name Pat Sin Leng means "Mountains of the "Eight Immortals", who are famous "xian", or transcedents/fairies in Chinese mythology. The eight peaks symbolize the eight peaks along the Pat Sin Leng mountain range, each named after a different Immortal.

The format of the hikes I went through these two weeks were quite similar, but there was a greater sense of achievement hiking Pat Sin Leng as you can look back and see the spectacular landscape or challenge that you have completed. 

An amazing thing happened when I was having a victory late lunch with my hiking buddies near the Plover Cover Reservoir. I suddenly felt that I could probably finish the Raleigh, albeit slowly. But whether I will get to do the competition really doesn't matter. Just going through one year's training with the greatest training buddies is already a rewarding journey in itself. The rest is a bonus. 


No comments:

Post a Comment