Tuesday, August 7, 2012



Francis won the 10 Outstanding Young Persons Award in Hong Kong earlier this year and I was so excited to know that he has just been nominated as one of the finalists for the Outstanding Young Persons of the World.

Let me see how should I describe Francis. I first met Francis at a dinner about three years ago. Anyone first meeting him would be impressed by his genuineness and his passion in making the society better. At that time, I didn't have much understanding about social enterprises and so I considered him just another NGO friend who lives his dream and passion, but in a world quite separate from mine.

Eventually I joined SVHK's activities from time to time and I saw how their work and team mature and flourish. I saw SVHK growing and making more meaningful impact to society day by day. I began to sense the massive effort he has put into SVHK's work.

Francis came representing and fundraising for SVHK at this year's Gobi March. He doesn't look like a super athlete, but he did better than our colleagues who were 12 to 15 years younger, and those who had prior experience of military training. As timekeeper, I have seen him crossing the finishing checkpoint on several days, his eyes so full of determination no matter how many hours he had been running out there.

It was destiny when one day I decided that I wanted to set up a social enterprise for middle-aged unemployed women from our former factories. Francis was my support from day one. The preparation work has gone on for more than a year now and I would have dropped any day without his encouragement and mentorship. Through him, I stepped into a new world which I found a new sense of purpose, a whole new territory of creativity and possibilities, not only in myself but also in the people I want to serve and help. I started to realize Francis is the type who cannot last a day without moving someone. If there is only one person, he would move one by one, few by few, or sometimes more strategically, move the critical movers who can help to achieve a critical mass.

You are such an inspiration mate!

No comments:

Post a Comment