Monday, June 25, 2012


What is sportsmanship? Tomiyama-san can tell you all about it. At 65, he has run the Aso Cardella Ultramarathon 21 times, and also the MDS, the Great Wall Marathon, Cheju Ultramarathon and he also summitted Mount Kilimanjaro. Having such achievements in life, Tomiyama-san would not let injury, pain or fatique stop him from crossing the finishing line, all by himself. I never understood why I signed up to be sweeper on the last day of the Gobi March as I initially thought it was boring. Now that I looked back, I was there to witness the power of determination, the meaning of mind over matter, true sportsmanship and the admirable qualities of so many competitors who came up and cheered for him during the last 2 km. It was an honour to have walked with this gentleman and hero - salute!

No comments:

Post a Comment