Saturday, October 6, 2012




If I have to describe this movie in a few words - I would say "rich texture and intense flavours", the words I would use to describe food or wine. Rich texture because it feels like the weaving of fabrics. Using food as a backbone, the stories are divided into three segments -  breakfast, lunch and dinner. A number of the characters cross from one story to another, some even play the role of linking up all stories. Intense, because of the cinematography. The shots were very close and dynamic and there were some heavy emotions expressed through some of the characters.


The film explores the human relationships behind the 18 meals. There is some discussion on the food itself, but much less than I expected. The narrative at the opening sets out the theme clearly - that food not only opens the appetite, but opens our souls.

When I was small, my dad used to say that good food brings the family together. I was certainly brought up to understand the value of good food and the importance of family values, but probably those values were separately registered in my system rather than integrated. Good food has always been a matter of family obligation and practical necessity ever since I was small. As I grew up, graduated from college and moved away from my family, it ceased to be a matter of obligation. I realized that I had a choice, on what to enjoy, when to enjoy it, how to enjoy it and with whom to enjoy it etc.. It then became a matter of personal enjoyment and passion, and above all, the obsession with quality. The concept of family does not exist in this equation.

My parents' ageing eventually brought me back to cooking more at home, and I began to have a deeper understanding of the relationship between food and family. Cooking becomes a labour of love and compensates for the inadequacies of verbal communication. But something has changed over the years. Whilst my dad enjoys my cooking, he doesn't care much about the food anymore.

For me, there is no doubt that food is a life-long passion, a major sensory indulgence, and a powerful tool allowing me to express love and artistic creativity. Modern society is a lot more complex now. Whether it is fate or luck, having a family is not a must for the younger generations. Yet, good food has not lost its appeal, because its importance has elevated to binding and enhancing all kinds of human relationships.



“Desserts are like mistresses. They are bad for you. So if you are having one,
you might as well have two.”
 - Chef Alain Ducasse


“I prefer to regard a dessert as I would imagine the perfect woman: subtle, a little bittersweet, not blowsy and extrovert. Delicately made up, not highly rouged. Holding back, not exposing everything and, of course, with a flavor that lasts.”
- Graham Kerr


"When I walk into my kitchen today, I am not alone. Whether we know it or not, none of us is. We bring fathers and mothers and kitchen tables, and every meal we have ever eaten. Food is never just food. It's also a way of getting at something else: who we are, who we have been, and who we want to be." 
- Molly Wizenberg, A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen Table, 2009

 

No comments:

Post a Comment