Monday, June 24, 2013

A dream journey completed, but sometimes I feel like I want to go back to my dreams...




It has been a few weeks already and I still feel that part of my heart is still in Bole. Guess part of my heart will be there for a long long time. The entire Gobi March experience is a very condensed human experience. I feel like I have compressed many years of personal growth, many years of physical training, many years of fun and cultural experience, all into one.



After one whole year of uninterrupted training, starting from zero to finishing 9 races, 500km mileage, I arrived in Bole, the city where the 10th anniversary edition would be held. I arrived with the experience I have learnt as a volunteer last year, but with little expectations. The day before I left Hong Kong, I met up with my friend Natalia and she asked me how I felt. I honestly told her that I thought of the Gobi March as essentially a travelling experience, and will try my best to finish it. But I would be happy with whatever my body could achieve.


As much as I appreciate the service provided by volunteers, I must admit that being a competitor is so much more fun than a volunteer. Before the race, I had the time and opportunity to meet with other competitors coming from different parts of the world, with diverse cultural backgrounds. We spent time shopping last minute supplies, ate together, talked about our own lives, on running and travelling, and helped each other to pack. I didn't get to take pictures with each and every one of these friends, but it's very humbling learning from all of you and I'm grateful to have met you guys - Megan, Alex, Dan, Fiaz, Joel, Eric etc...



No comments:

Post a Comment