Monday, July 23, 2012




How do you get the best of yourself out?

This morning when I woke up, I saw Tristan's post on Facebook. I met Tristan at the Gobi March this year. It was very touching and I was in tears.

So I started doing a little bit of quote search. This is one which I quite like:-

"The answer to the big questions in running is the same as the answer to the big questions in life: do the best with what you've got."

I never really hiked much until some 10 years ago. My mother used to enjoy hiking but I hadn't been much of a company. 15 years ago, she got alzheimers' and I started to hike with her at the early onset. I was hoping that even though she could not manage anything intellectually, she could at least walk enough to keep herself healthy. Also, there was just me and her and mother nature. Nobody would judge her by her uncoordinated and unexplainable gestures and language. But even that luxury was gone soon. After my mom lost her mobility, so did my dad since he had to take care of her 24/7.

I was born anaemic and blood pressure is lower than most people. When I try to run or go uphill, I feel dizzy. This mental programme is deeply embedded in me for decades. For some reason, I felt a big urge to break these rules this year. I decided that I want to train myself for running. I don't know how I can get rid of the feeling of dizziness and weakness, but I have signed up for competitions, signed up for a coach and started reading books about marathons. I really want to give more than what I've got. But why? I guess the more I think about my life and how fortunate I am, the more I feel like bringing out the best of myself or more than what I think I can achieve. Or perhaps it is not about myself, but an inspiration reminding me to give the best of myself for others. If I can bring out this energy in me, I will be able to give more meaningful service for the rest of my life. I also want to devote this to my parents, to thank them for giving birth to me and for raising me to become a courageous and compassionate person.

No comments:

Post a Comment